Really enjoyed this, best thing I’ve made yet even if I do say so myself!!
- 2lbs diced stewing steak
- 3 or 4 cups of chicken or beef stock
- 1 cup of wine
- 1 large onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/4lb of carrots (though I forgot this)
- 1lb ready made puff pastry
- 1 cup of flour
- Put the steak, flour and salt and pepper in a bowl and mix until the meat is completely covered.
- Put the meat in a pan with some vegetable oil and brown all over then remove
- Dice the onion and fry for 2 or 3 minutes in the same pan as you cooked the steaks.
- Add the wine, stock, carrots and steak to the pan then leave for at least a few hours, preferably overnight, to let all the flavours mix together.
- Roll out the pastry to about 2 inches bigger than the tray you will be cooking it in.
- Cut an inch all around the edge of the pastry and stick this to the edge of the tray.
- Brush on some water to moisten the pastry on the tray then spoon in the meat and juices
- Put the the rest of the pastry over the top and push down the edges to seal them.
- Make two holes in the pastry some where in the middle to allow the steam to escape
- Put in the over for about 30 minutes at 200 degrees Celsius